Friday, April 13, 2012

Being a CEO

After every semester, MBA Program Director Michael Wybo invites several students to discuss the completed period. Yesterday, I was one of the participating students who had the opportunity to provide feedback regarding P4. I hope that our constructive criticism can help to make future experiences even better!

The rest of my day yesterday was focused on being a CEO, and I'm not just saying that because one of my classes is entitled Being a CEO. However, I would like to take this opportunity to comment on that class. Sadly, the course has been disappointing, since it has focused mainly on the accounting and financial aspect of the CEO position (which, if you know anything about me at all, is a huge disappointment!). The class has great potential to discuss other facets, such as the marketing and visionary aspects of the CEO role, like what we can learn from "The Real Leadership Lessons of Steve Jobs" and "10 Lessons from a 'Creative' in the CEO's Office" (about CEO Eric Hirshberg). The class is also outdated, and should provide modern insight, such as why CEOs should tweet.

But I digress. Instead, last night's Small Business Management class did an excellent job of giving us insight into the visionary role of the CEO. We had guest speaker (and fellow blogger!) CEO Peter Hart talk about his position as the leader of Rideau. In fact, his can-do attitude and rebellious edge made me think of Steve Jobs and the below "Think Different" Apple commercial.


Today, I have been working on my final assignment for Managing Products and Brands. Essentially, we are all looking at the same Branding Yoga case, but we are divided into three, looking at the case as brand managers of three different brands:  Bikram Yoga/Bikram Choudhury, Strala Yoga/Tara Stiles, Anusara Yoga/John Friend. I started to develop my SWOT analysis and I jotted down my possible recommendations. I'm now ready to discuss the case tomorrow night with one of my classmates to compare notes. In the meantime, I did some yoga for inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment