Monday, June 1, 2015

30 for 30: Day 1

Today was the first day of my 30 for 30 challenge, and I am very excited to say that I am off to a great start!

I started the morning with my easiest task:  Work out for 30 minutes every day. Exercising every day is perhaps the only thing that keeps me sane. I love weightlifting and jogging, so I typically do one of the two each day. I included this goal on my 30 for 30 as a gift to myself, one task I would be sure to accomplish each day, as it's the thing that gets me out of bed every morning. This morning, as I waited at the bus stop to head to the gym, the sweet smell of fresh donuts wafted toward me. As I truly focused on the sweet scent, I realized I was accomplishing one of my other goals:  Smell 30 scents. I loved having the sweetness surround me, engaging my senses so early in the morning. Curious, I Googled "How many scents can you smell?" The answer:  1 trillion! According to Live Science, "the nose can tell apart at least 1 trillion different odors, and possibly many more." So that certainly accounted for 1/30 of another goal: Learn 30 cool facts.

By the time I arrived at work, I was already feeling great about my day. During a meeting with my boss, I provided a clear explanation for an internal database update that would help me immensely. After requesting this change, I told my boss about my 30 for 30 project, specifically my goal to provide 30 recommendations for Famous Birthdays. He was elated and said he can't wait to be bombarded with more suggestions from me this month. At the close of our meeting, he told me that he'd brought back hats from his recent trip to Costa Rica. Fittingly, they say "pura vida," which can be said as a way of giving thanks. I thanked my boss for the gift, seizing this opportunity to fulfill my express 30 days of gratitude goal. 


"Pura vida" hat from my boss

Later, during my lunch hour, I spent 30 minutes in the sun as I ran an errand and meditated (checking off meditate for 30 days). I also prepared for my listen to 30 new songs task by asking my cousin Dan, Associate Editor of SPIN to send me a "best of" list of songs. When I get a chance during this month, I will sift through the list to find some new tunes.

After work, I rushed home to launch the crowdfunding campaign for Unbreakable Missy & Lori. With $225 raised within the first 3 hours, we've already met 3% of our funding goal. I immediately posted about the campaign on our social media accounts, meeting my promise to post 30 social media posts for Unbreakable Missy & Lori. I also reached out to (one of the) 30 press contacts in an attempt to gain some steam for our campaign and YouTube series.

I then zipped over to a raw vegan restaurant to meet my former coworker Lex who delighted in my dining choice, as I explained to him that I am eating raw vegan for 30 days. We share a passion for healthy eating, but importantly, healthy living. As we caught up, he told me about his decision to move to the Eastside of LA. One of his closest friends had announced that he and his girlfriend were having a baby. In order to be closer to his friend and the new baby, my former coworker moved. My heart sang listening to this story, and it's a beautiful start in my mission to record 30 stories of love.

When I finally returned home, I read my girlfriend's blog (she's embarking on 96 days of courage) and I found yet another story of love. It was wonderful to read her gratitude towards her mother on her mom's 50th birthday today.

As this day comes to a close, I'm reflecting on my gratitude and appreciation for the people, places, and things in my life. I'm especially appreciative of my home in Santa Monica, where I've discovered (more than) 30 cool things, but today I'm loving the park near my office and the sheer number of healthy restaurant options. Now that I've written for (well over) 30 minutes and I've said one of my 30 positive affirmations ("I am strong"), I can safely say that Day 1 of my 30 for 30 has been spent doing exactly what I want to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment